Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Julia, class of 2011

A couple of months ago I was given the opportunity to address a theater full of high school girls. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. But seeing that I was going to be introducing a speech my sweet Julia was giving, I overcame my fear, got on stage, and spoke about our lives together up to this point.

She is now officially an alum. I am so proud of her. Here she is on her graduation day, and I included my introduction for her speech.



Julia is a lot of things to a lot of different people. She is
a daughter to two
a sister to three
a granddaughter four
a great granddaughter to one
a niece to fourteen
a cousin to seventeen
a student, currently to six
and a friend to many.
So many people love her. She plays many different roles in many different lives. But I'm here to tell you why Julia is special to me.

Julia is my niece, and my story with her began over eighteen years ago in this very school. After finishing my 8th grade history exam, I got a note on the message board. It read-baby girl, 10 pounds. That's all I needed, and I was in love. She was a wonderful baby-eyes the size of saucers, a smile that would warm your heart, and a scream that could literally set off the house alarm...all wrapped up in a sweet, little bonnet.

A few short years later and a boy came to pick me up for a date. That boy was Will, who is now my husband. Will met Julia for the first time wearing her princess costume skipping around the house.

A year or so later, I was a senior and Julia was in PreK. I got to take her to school in the morning. We had a special mixed tape, and she would get to visit in the senior homeroom until school started. To this day, sometimes when Julia calls me on the phone or calls to me from another room this is how I often imagine her. It may sound cliche, but I can still see her in a smocked dress and big bow, looking up at me like I could do no wrong.

At the end of that year she was my flower girl. She was actually two years shy of flower girl age but I am so glad they made the exception. With two dresses designed and made by Hilary, Julia led me down the aisle of Idlewild.

Again years flew by and I was once again following her down an aisle. Different dresses and a different church; this time my wedding, and Julia was a bridesmaid.

A few more years would find Julia at the hospital when Will and I welcomed our first son, Trey. Seeing Julia with Trey and also Robb is so special to me. When I asked Trey why he loved Julia, he said "her brings me lollipops and she loves me so much." She has provided both my boys with lollipops, as well as an entourage of sweet, smart, gorgeous high school girls to call friends.

And now, here we are. I hope that you have seen through these small glimpses of our history that Julia is so much more than just a niece to me. She is a friend, and I so look forward to seeing what her future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment